Sunday 14 April 2024

Last of the Easter Holidays

It is another weekend and been up bright and early catching up on Youtube and wanted to watch a UK football programme on BBC 1 Match of the day and completing a blog for my site: Building Self Confidence- The Ugly Duckling (buildingselfconfidencetud.blogspot.com)

I also edited a bit of my book that I am working on, and planning for the week ahead. I didn't want to travel anywhere so went to a farmers market and then took my son to a local park and went around it on his scooter, while I sat enjoying the sunshine. 

At the Wimbledon Rugby RFC 

This morning my son went to his rugby club, Wimbledon RFC which is a brilliant club and teaches children of all ages and abilities and learning disabilities and so inclusive that it is a joy to be there. I coached children football and it was tricky as it was just me coaching, with help from other coaches on some sessions, but you would be on your own most of the time. At the rugby Wimbledon rugby club youth training they have 3 or 4 coaches which makes a huge difference and there were a few players in my sons group that were moving onto being in an actual team. 

There is a clubhouse their which serves food and drink, toilets and benches to sit on and everyone is just so friendly and there was a new child who started today, called Ben who is Autistic and was shy at first but within 5 minutes of him starting, he really got into it, my son was a bit distracted because he saw a drome and so lost his concentration, but still will take him as there are others who also have learning difficulties. There is a girl named Matilda and every time she sees a dog, she wants to go over to them to stroke, but she is lovely she was holding hands with some of the smaller children and its just so enlightening. I would like to thank my mum because she is the one who found it, and my brother who plays rugby came, as he is doing a lot of work for the sport.

I followed a rugby league team called the London Broncos and I loved it. I still go to a few games, but at one point would go to every match, home and away and was a huge part of my life. I loved the banter and the atmosphere and at one point was helping with face painting and wrote supporters club newsletter with my friend who introduced me to it, called What ever happened to  Fulham, as they were initially the Fulham Rugby league team, and when I began following them they played at a ground called Barnet Copthall and were called the London Crusaders. 

I got to see them as a local side who had a small following to then becoming a Super League club, who moved to the Stoop in Twickenham, Charlton FC ground, Brentford and even as far as Crawley. 

Many of the people I knew from those days have passed and sad about that, as they were so welcoming and we would have sing offs, we, my friends from the club would go to a yearly dinner and dance in Blackpool and got to see then get to the Challenge Cup final and were beaten by Leeds. 

Rugby is a great sport, League and Union, and last year I managed to get free tickets to see the Broncos at Plough Lane, at the Cherry Red Records Stadium (AFC Wimbledon's ground) as they handing them out in Wimbledon and my son loved it. Sport like music can really bring people together in a positive way that it is good to invest in it by watching local teams especially rugby. 

Many thanks for reading, 


Carrie X  








No comments:

Post a Comment