Monday 14 February 2022

The Modern world the pros and cons

It is the end of another week and lost the blog I was originally writing so had to restart. 

Tomorrow it is Monday start of another week, but its half term and a little apprehensive about tomorrow as taking Henry to Swimming on my own, for the first time. It means I am swimming with him too and been a long time since I was in a swimming pool.

When it comes to doing things on your own can take time, because of being a parent you often don't know what to expect, and when Henry my son doesn't want to do something it is tough to try and get him to do it. 

Like today he didn't want to play with his balloon in the corridor because we, my mum and step dad was watching the rugby so tried to gain his attention by playing tennis whilst the rugby was done. 

He was doing everything he could to protest, so I had to stand my ground and say the word I hate to says in "No". For kids this can make them do the opposite, but often it can be hard to find a way to get him to understand he can't do everything he wants and life is about sharing. 

As it is Valentines day tomorrow I bought my son a card and some treats, of the chocolate kind. I want him to know about these dates in the calendar, because you can have a lot of fun when you do.  

There was a time when I was against Valentines Day because I wasn't seeing anyone, and thought it was too commercial and companies just trying to get more money out of you. Yet now I like to acknowledge it, and want my son to know about it. If he decides later on in his life, and isn't bothered about the day, then that is up to him. 

I have to get in touch with the modern world, as I often feel I get left behind, because I was listening to a portable CD player rather than an MP3, for ages and miss not having one. I was getting fed up of having to buy batteries for all of the time, and then went onto having an iTouch, around 2007, so with the days in the calendar I want to make the effort for each month in 2022. 

That is the same with my son and get to grips with the stages of his life. Kids grow fast and again feel like I can't often get to grips with it. 

Blogging was brand new to me and others around me didn't know what it was either, but I then understood it and when I began to get followers it boosted my wellbeing, in a way I never thought. It got me into communicating to people all over the world, and is good to be part of the blogging community. 

I love reaching out to people and those that reach out to me and have written books, started making videos for Youtube, use social media and now I have four online courses too. 

I miss not having a record player as there still a lot of songs like the temptations did, I'd like to have on vinyl (record) and LP's. 

I wish I still had my video recorder as I loved recording programmes, but then had Sky where you can save things in the planner on sky, but is very expensive so discovered Now TV and this is a great alternative.

I have been wanting an iPhone for ages, but because it would mean paying a high price on having one I have stuck with the phone I have, which is android, but still would like to have an iPhone at some point.

I like modern technology, when it is working, but when it goes wrong and you've lost work on there it can hold you back and be a real pain in the bum. 

This is why I still jot things down on paper because I do keep things on my phone, but then it runs out of space and if it doesn't work at all, it is a whole lot gone. 

When working for a contact centre it was all done on the computers and so because of that it would often crash, it meant jotting the calls on paper until the computers were back up and running. It meant I  had to process them in as there would be things like service level targets we had to meet, and this was on how many calls you took that day, and was the customer satisfied with the service so was twice the work, but it was limited to as we'd have to call the customers back. So I like having items on paper aswell as on my phone and my laptop so I still have record of the blog I wrote or what things are urgent and top of the list rather then losing them due to being put on my laptop. 

Modern technology is not always the answer. The Self service checkouts in supermarkets are taking away having someone to serve you, and soon mean that not all staff are needed because of the self service. People like having a genuine person helping them not a machine. When I did Chat services when working for a contact centre you'd have people using it to play a prank on someone, and was free and so meant the demand for it was more, but when this went down, it would have to be by telephone again. 

So is technology worth investing all of the time? 

It all depends on what it is. I mean if you are a dog walker you may used it to take notes of who's dogs you are looking after, but is best done on paper. If it is a retailer it is good to have online shopping as for me it can be a lot more convenient. 

Has it effected the world and how we live? 

I say yes, because when on a train or bus noone talks to each other as they are all looking on their phones and when it comes to talking to someone at the bank, you could be waiting 20 minutes or an hour to speak to anyone, and the first thing they do is advise you to do what you are wanting online. 

I live by my phone and laptop, but yesterday and today I wanted to be more present, so I had my phone upstairs whilst I watched TV downstairs and it felt good to take a break from it, and I think taking time away from modern technology can really relax your mind and make you feel less stressed. 

Many thanks for reading, 


Carrie X

 

No comments:

Post a Comment