Tuesday 2 June 2020

Life and times of Butlins Holiday Camp



Hello and welcome to my weekly newsletter blog sharing my life and times of Butlins Holiday Camp, where I worked from May 2002 to November 2005, in Bognor Regis.

I also met the love of my life there Lee McKillop also known as Lee Mack there and my life has changed so much.

It was my dream since a kid to work at a holiday camp, as my family would make yearly visits to one in Clacton-Upon-Sea in St Osyth's.

I went there to initially join the entertainments department, but ended up working in the Residential Catering Department.

It was a fantastic job and I loved it, especially at night after my evening shift where I would go to Centre stage, Skyline and Jaks.

They are great places to work as you live on site in the staff lines, get meals on site and all entertainment is free, well it was when I worked there. So all you end up paying for really is your drink after your shift is finished.

When working there you would tend to do split shifts, four hours in the morning and four hours in the evening, and then have the evenings and afternoons to yourself.

We weren't allowed to drink in or off site around Bognor Regis until 6:15pm, but hands up I didn't always follow these rules and neither did many of the workers you just made sure you were out of uniform when doing so.

It was a different world but one that was brilliant. I never got my dream of being a red coat in the end, but still enjoyed my time there and met some wonderful people in the process.

There is Butlins Facebook group if you would like to join to share your story of working at Butlins at:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4290489164/

Many thanks for reading,


Carrie X







No comments:

Post a Comment